Nursing care bd have several duties, as well as caring for patients, act with doctors, administering drugs and checking vital signs. creating up for the most important care job within the U.S., nurses play a significant role in medical facilities and revel in an outsized range of job opportunities. The career growth for nursing is projected to extend by 16% in the next decade, and provides a professionally and in person gratifying experience. medical care bd
What is Nursing?
Simply put, nurses are life-savers. There are over three million registered nurses in the United States. In fact, nurses total doctors 3:1 in the health care industry. whereas doctors usually concentrate on one space, nurses are ready to coordinate the take care of all aspects of a patient’s overall health. A patient experiencing chest pains, for example, might need a cardiologist, a nephrologist and an indoor drugs specialist. every of those doctors would diagnose, treat and dictate medications exclusively for his or her area of expertise. The nurse, though, would be the care supplier chargeable for the patient’s full care, guaranteeing prescriptions don’t negatively act with one another, which a patient understands and is ready for treatment. once diagnostic results return in, it’s the nurse who reads them first and, if necessary, immediately notifies the appropriate doctor. Nursing care bd
Gone are the days when nurses act like the doctors’ handmaidens; today, they are equally responsible for the overall care of the patient.
What is a Registered Nurse?
A registered nurse is a nurse who has obtained a nursing degree, has passed the NCLEX-RN exam and has fulfilled all other state licensing requirements. While an associates degree is the minimum education required to sit for the NCLEX-RN exam, a bachelor’s degree or higher is becoming more commonly preferred among employers. For more information about becoming a registered nurse, you can read our registered nursing career guide. medical care bd
General Nurse Duties
What do nurses do? they’re unendingly observance and evaluating patients, nurses should be smart, adaptive, educated and proficient in crucial thinking. Nurses’ responsibilities embody coordinating with multiple specialists to make sure that their patients are adequately on the road to recovery. Through the various kinds of care, a nurse’s capabilities extend past their stereotypic personas; whereas several envision nurses donned in medical scrubs and running through a hospital, a nurse could are available in many forms. medical care bd
Specifically, here are a number of the items nurses do on a typical day:
- Conduct physical exams
- Take elaborated health care histories
- Listen to patients and analyze their physical and emotional needs
- Provide message and health care education to patients
- Coordinate care with different health care suppliers and specialists
- Stay current with advances in health care options, medications, and treatment plans
- Draw blood, and perform other health-related testing
- Check a patient’s very important signs
Where Do Nurses Work?
Not all registered nurses add hospitals. you’ll be able to realize a nurse in an exceedingly wide range of health care settings, as well as doctor’s offices, pressing care centers, pharmacies, schools, and plenty of other locations. Nurses have the flexibility to use their skills to fulfill the requirements of their patients, just about where they are located. For example, several nurses currently assist the old or disabled in their homes. Some common places wherever nurses work embody:
- Home health care settings
- Senior living communities
- Nursing care bd
Types of Nurses (with Requirements)
Answering the question of what do nurses do is difficult because of the actual fact that nurses are proficient in many fields and will value more highly to focus their trade specifically in bound kinds of care. Some specific nursing fields include geriatrics, crucial care, pediatrics, treatment planning, and case management. From operating face-to-face with patients to managing their paperwork, nurses play an enormous role in our lives and the profession continues to be a prosperous career path for those considering taking on this role. Some different types of nurses and their education requirements include:
- Nurse Anesthetist. A nurse anesthetist assist mainly with medical procesdures, specifically with anesthetic. To become a nurse anesthetist, you must hold bachelor’s degree. Nursing care bd
- Family Nurse Practitioner. A family nurse practitioner delivers family-focused care as a part of a healthcare team. Family nurse practitioners must hold a master’s degree.
- NICU Nurse. A NICU nurse works with sick newborn babies. To become a NICU nurse, you must hold a bachelor’s degree.
- Labor and Delivery Nurse. A labor and delivery nurse assists with the birth of newborns. Labor and delivery nurses must hold an associates degree.
- Travel Nurse. A travel nurse works short-term contracts in multiple locations in order to explore the world while working as a nurse. To become a travel nurse, you must hold an associates degree.
- Neonatal Nurse. A neonatal nurse works with sick babies. Neonatal nurses must hold a bachelor’s degree.
- Pediatric Nurse. A pediatric nurse works with children in maintaining their normal care. To become a pediatric nurse, you must hold an associates degree.
- Ambulatory Nurse. An ambulator nurse works specifically on an ambulance for numerous emergencies. Ambulatory nurses must hold an associates degree.
- Clinical Nurse Specialist. A clinical nurse specialist works with patients in a variety of specialties in an advanced setting. To become a clinical nurse specialist, you must hold a master’s degree.
- School Nurse. A school nurse provides medical support, education and treatment within an adolescent school facility. School nurses must hold an bachelor’s degree. Nursing care bd
- Nurse Educator. A nurse educator instructs and teacher aspriring nurse and health professions in their journey towards their career. To become a nurse educator, you must hold a master’s degree.
If you are interested in learning about more nursing specialties and their education requirements, read our guide on types of nursing degrees.
What are Nursing Salaries?
According to labor and statistics, the median wage for a nurse (RN) is $70,000 and may vary as high as $130,000 per year. On average, nursing salaries are 7% above the common job salary nationwide. completely different classifications of nurses can earn different salaries: medical care bd
How to Become a Nurse?
Since nursing is such a extremely wanted profession that needs advanced training, education is essential to your sure-fire journey to turning into a nurse. several employers currently like that nurses have a Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) over an Associates Degree in Nursing (ASN) or RN. Nurses with a Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) develop the breadth of data and clinical expertise required to achieve today’s advanced health care system.
- Choose a Nursing Program
- Earn a Nursing Degree
- Get Licensed
After you’ve got with success completed your courses, you’ll be able to sit for needed licensure exams.
If you’re trying to more advance your nursing career, you can prolong to finish your Master of Science in Nursing degree (MSN).
Undergraduate Nursing Degree Programs
At Gwynedd Mercy University, you can choose between four college man Nursing programs that suit your lifestyle. whether or not you’re a standard college man looking to measure and learn on campus or are trying to create a career switch from another field to nursing, GMercyU has the proper path for you: medical care bd
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing Degree (BSN): Provides the data and clinical ex perience necessary to fulfill the requirements of today’s patients
- Accelerated Bachelor of Science in Nursing (ABSN): This program is for college kids who have already got a bachelor’s degree in another field, and would really like to become a nurse by earning a bachelor’s degree in nursing (BSN). This accelerated 16-month program needs you to enrol on a full-time basis throughout the day.
- Weekend Bachelor of Science in Nursing Degree (BSN): If you already have a bachelor’s degree in another field, but would like to obtain a Bachelor of Science degree in nursing (BSN), this three-year program allows you to complete the degree by taking classes on the weekends.
Graduate Nursing Programs
Gwynedd Mercy University also offers three graduate-level nursing programs and two post-graduate level nursing programs.
- Clinical Nurse Specialist – Adult Gerontology (MSN)
- Nurse Practitioner Degree Program (MSN)
- Nurse Educator Degree (MSN)
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice Program (DNP)
- Post-Master’s Nurse Practitioner Certificate Program
Online Nursing Programs
In addition to traditional on-campus undergraduate degrees and graduate-level nursing programs, you can choose to take online nursing programs at GMercyU to fit along with your busy schedule.
Why Become a Nurse?
There is an recent saw that you just would like a doctor to diagnose you, however a nurse to avoid wasting your life. we are able to all recall a time once a nurse was required most: from a traditional check-up in an exceedingly doctor’s workplace to an emergency scenario that needed a visit to the hospital.
Most folks can think about a nurse who has contend a major role in their life at some time, whether or not it’s a family member, shut friend, acquaintance, or the person you’ve been seeing at your doctor’s office for decades. you would possibly even have a nurse in your phonebook who you dial if WebMD doesn’t quite answer your medical questions.
To become a nurse is to become someone who improves and saves the lives of others. If you’re looking for a career where you can put your desire to help others to excellent use, becoming a nurse is an excellent career path for you. Nursing care bd
Your GMercyU Path to Success
If you’re interested in furthering your education to become a nurse at a top school of nursing in Philadelphia, Gwynedd Mercy University’s Frances M. Maguire School of Nursing and Health Professions, can help you acheive your career goals.
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
- Accelerated Bachelor of Science in Nursing Degree -ABSN (For students with a bachelor’s in another field who need to become a nurse by taking courses on a full-time basis)
- Weekend BSN Degree (For students with a bachelor’s deree in another field who want to become a nurse by finishing work on the weekends)